Feb 24, 2011

Acute thoughts

I recently finished a triplet of clinical rotations, out-patient ortho, pediatrics and acute-care. Being in the hospital setting led me to thinking... Most of my caseload consisted of those who were well, aging. Ranging from 60 - 101!!
These patients were living history, some having escaped from Hitler to come to America. At times I wish I could have been a historian, rather then complete a PT evaluation... But what really affected me was how we (the nurses, staff and myself) spoke about the patient. Was the person a real sweetie who would brighten the day or were they a miserable crab? How do I want people to talk about me?! How I react to situations now, will only be exaggerated as I age, and hopefully gracefully.

I want to be the 101 year old, who had bright pink nail polish, all of her marbles and was whipping down the hallways with her walker. . .
.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.